Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Wi-Fi: Wirless Adhoc Network at home ;)

This morning I set up a wireless Adhoc network using my notebook (hp nx9005) and my stepfathers notebook (sony viao) both notebooks are using pcmcia wireless cards. The Hp utilzes an airvast 100 wireless card and the viao uses a Benq gprs/wlan card.
This projet which should have been completed in 5 minutes took like 15 to 20. The problems were as followed:

  • Benq gprs/wireless card apparently cannot be used for wlan as long as the gprs vitual modem is installed.
  • After sharing the gateway connection from the hp to the viao was always labeled ad disabled
  • The viao constantly dropped the gateway connection
  • I couldn't figure out what to use as the wep keys.. thats righ digits or alpabetic characters, I wasn't sure.. I googled and found a ms documents which really didn't help much.. Go figure.
Solution.

  • Set up the wireless network let windows choose the key for your wireless network
  • Disabled security from wep [ there are no wireless uses in my community much less people with laptops lol ]
  • Set the wireless network to be open.
  • Run home and small office network wizard.
There is still one problem though. it keeps dropping the connection every once in a while. not sure why though.. will post solution to that as soon as I figure it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home